Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna Rolls
Servings: 9 • Size: 1 lasagna roll • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 6 pts
Calories: 227 • Fat: 5 g • Carb: 29 g • Fiber: 3 g • Protein: 16 g • Sugar: 3 g
Sodium: 265 mg (without the salt) • Cholesterol: 30 g
For the Butternut Parmesan Sauce:
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled and diced ~ I use one package of frozen, 12oz, thawed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup shallots, minced ~ I cut this out completely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced ~ I use from a jar sometimes, easier
- 2 tbsp fresh grated parmesan cheese ~ Fresh, hahaha!
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste ~kosher and freshly ground, hahaha
For the Lasagna:
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked (use gluten free noodles for gluten free)
- 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, heated and squeezed well
- 15 oz fat free ricotta cheese (I like Polly-o) ~ I use whatever I can find
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- salt and fresh pepper
- 9 tbsp (about 3 oz) part skim shredded Italian Blend Cheese ~ I use whatever cheese I have handy
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add butternut squash and cook until soft. Remove squash with a slotted spoon, reserve about 1 cup of the water and set aside, then blend until smooth with an immersion blender, adding 1/4 cup of the reserved liquid to thin out. ~ This whole step I skip by using frozen.
Meanwhile, in a large deep non-stick skillet, add the oil, sauté the shallots and garlic over medium-low heat until soft and golden, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add pureed butternut squash, season with with salt and fresh cracked pepper and add a little more of the reserved water to thin out to your liking. Stir in 2 1/2 tablespoons of the parmesan cheese and set aside. ~ I saute the garlic in the oil, add my thawed squash, season with salt & pepper, then add water to my desired consistency. Then I add whatever type of parmesan cheese I have on hand. Take it off the heat and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Ladle about 1/2 cup butternut sauce sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking dish.
Combine spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
Place a piece of wax paper on the counter and lay out lasagna noodles. Make sure noodles are dry (I definitely didn't worry about my noodles being dry). Take 1/3 cup (I just eyeballed the amount of mixture) of ricotta mixture and spread evenly over noodle. Roll carefully and place seam side down onto the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles.
Ladle about 1 cup of sauce over the noodles in the baking dish and top each one with 1 tbsp Italian cheese blend. Put foil over baking dish and bake for 40 minutes, or until cheese melts and everything is hot and bubbly. Top with parsley and serve. Makes 9 rolls.
To serve, ladle a little extra sauce on the plate and top with lasagna roll.